Friday, May 28, 2010

Inside S.E.A.S.

I had my First Communion and Confirmation in the grand “Santa Maria del Soccorso”. When a new church was built and our home was included in the new parish, my disappointment was great.
The new church looked like a recycled hangar and was dedicated to an obscure American lady, not even properly Saint at the time.
I still have pictures of my younger brother dressed up for his First Communion in front of that... shed.I missed many masses since, I knew that a real church has been built years ago, but never bothered to visit it, even after starting this blog.
Last Sunday I ventured there to take a picture of the statue of the Saint, which I knew was in the garden, and found the church open, almost a miracle here in the early afternoon.
I went inside and saw the light. No, not in that sense, I am quite hopeless now, but a lot of sunlight filtered by colored windows.
After a recent week of full immersion in Roman baroque, I was impressed by the simple interior of this church.The unusual “Via Crucis”, with its stations gathered in a cross made of bas-reliefs.

See also: An American Saint - S.E.A.S. - Mother Seton Parish (in Italian)

No comments:

Post a Comment